DID YOU KNOW?
Chlorinated Water, Bakery Products, Flame Retardants and other dietary and environmental issues reduce our body’s ability to Use Iodine?
CHLORINE, FLOURINE AND BROMINE COMPETE WITH IODINE IN THE BODY.
On the periodic table of elements, Iodine is in a group called the Halogens. Fluorine, chlorine, bromine are in the same halogen family. Iodine is lower on the table, which means that the elements above Iodine in this group are much more reactive, and actually compete with and displace Iodine. Fluorine, chlorine, and bromine are all three more reactive than Iodine. They are more electronegative than Iodine, so they will win on binding sites and even displace Iodine.
WHY IS THIS IMPORTANT? Fluorine, chlorine and bromine compete very strongly with Iodine. Chlorine is in our water and so is fluorine. Our BAKERY PRODUCTS and carpets are now very high in bromine. Chlorine, Bromine and Fluorine competes with Iodine-binding sites on thyroid hormone. When this occurs, the thyroid hormone does not function as it does when Iodine is in place. It creates a state of thyroid deficiency called Secondary Hypothyroidism. So even though you may have adequate thyroid hormone according to test results, because it is brominated – the Iodine-binding sites have bromine instead of Iodine – and the thyroid hormones do not work like they should in your body! Chlorine and fluoride in water also competes with Iodine and do the same thing. Hypothyroidism leads to many serious health issues–and obesity, too.
Fortunately, Iodine supplementation will increase urinary secretion of fluoride, chlorine, and bromide. These elements – fluoride, chlorine and bromide – are toxic to our bodies. Take care to drink pure water and eat non-brominated bread in order to greatly decrease your toxic exposure.
LUGOL’S IODINE PLUS FORMULA IS NOT YOUR ORDINARY LUGOL’S IODINE SUPPLEMENT.
- LUGOL’S IODINE PLUS relies on Super- Concentrated Fulvic to help supercharge absorption of both Iodine and Iodide and all the other elements in the formula FOR SUPERIOR DELIVERY TO CELLS OF A WINNING, “CELL-READY” COMBINATION.
- LUGOL’S IODINE PLUS includes important elements that are essential to be present for our bodies to use iodine in a host of metabolic processes. These elements include Selenium, Zinc, Magnesium, and others. Many patients are deficient in these elements also.
LUGOL’S IODINE PLUS INCLUDES IMPORTANT ELEMENTS THE BODY NEEDS TO SUPPORT IODINE METABOLISM
A LUGOL’S SOLUTION PROVIDES BOTH FORMS OF IODINE: IODINE AND IODIDE
The entire body uses iodine and iodide, not just the thyroid. Various tissues and organs are designed to concentrate large amounts which are necessary for their normal structure and function. Conversely, low iodine levels are associated with autoimmune thyroid disease, breast cancer, thyroid cancer, goiter and fibromyalgia, as well as cysts and nodules of the breast, thyroid and ovaries.
(Both types of iodine are needed in the body – breast and prostate tissue prefer iodine and thyroid tissues prefer iodide – and both types are available with a Lugol’s solution. Other types of Iodine formulations have not been shown to be able to provide this type of tissue-specific support).
- Selenium is the primary mineral responsible for T4 to T3 (thyroid hormones) conversion in the liver.
- Selenium and iodine/iodide along with Zinc are essential in the conversion of carcinogenic estrogen and progesterone metabolites.
- Supplementation or consumption of high amounts of iodine without selenium can induce AIT (Auto Immune Thyroiditis) and goiter.
- Selenium and iodine/iodide can reduce goiter and inflammation of the thyroid gland.
- Selenium supplementation reduces TgAb that may be elevated by taking iodine.
- TPOAb antibody levels were inversely associated with selenium levels (higher physiological selenium levels are associated with lower antibody levels and vice versa)
- Zinc may be helpful in patients with low T3 and may contribute to conversion of T4 to T3. 3
- Zinc may be helpful in normalizing levels of rT3 3
- Zinc, selenium and iodine/iodide are essential in the conversion of carcinogenic estrogen and progesterone metabolites.
- Clinical case studies by Drs. Abraham and Brownstein have shown that administration of Vitamin C can improve defective cellular transport mechanism for iodine.
- Vitamin Bs are important in iodine metabolism. For example B2 and B3, as precursors of the cofactors FADH2 and NADH, play a key role in ATP synthesis4 and in the generation of intracellular hydrogen peroxide.5 Hydrogen peroxide formation is the rate limiting step in the oxidation of iodide to iodine by iodoperoxidases, including thyroid peroxidase (TPO). The oxidation of intrathyroidal iodide to iodine by TPO is the first and key step in the synthesis of thyroid hormones.
FULVIC TRACE MINERALS AND ELEMENTS
- Fulvic molecules carry up to 60 Minerals and Elements and help improve absorption and facilitate transport to cells.
- Fulvic molecules are negatively charged and donate electrons for membrane and cellular functions including mitochondrial energy production.
- Iodine sufficiency and Fulvic and Humic Acids protect glands from radiation poisoning. Radioactive elements have an affinity for Humic and Fulvic acids. They form organo-metal complexes of different adsorptive stability and solubility. Uranium and plutonium are influenced by Humic substances as are other polluting metals, each being solubilized and absorbed, thereby annihilating the specific radioactivity.
WITHOUT THESE SUPPORTING NUTRIENTS, Iodine metabolism can be impaired and Iodine Supplementation efforts may not be as effective!
WHAT DOES IODINE DO?
There are many ways Iodine deficiencies affect our health…LET’S TAKE A LOOK AT A FEW OF THEM.
SUPERCHARGES ENERGY PRODUCTION AND FIRES-UP METABOLISM
- Iodine is required to synthesize thyroid hormones. These hormones regulate metabolism, oxygenation and energy production. When we are iodine deficient we can feel sluggish and lack energy.
- Patients taking thyroid hormones may also need to take an iodine supplement because all the cells of the body uses iodine and thyroid hormone can increase the body’s need for iodine. Disorders that involve iodine deficiencies may worsen or become more prevalent such as the incidence of breast, prostate and thyroid cancers when taking thyroid hormone and being iodine deficient.
EASIER WEIGHT MANAGEMENT
- Iodine helps prevent metabolic weight gain and helps maintain a healthier weight and energy level. Iodine can fire up the metabolism so it can be much easier to burn calories. It does this primarily because of iodine is essential to produce thyroid hormones. When we are iodine deficient thyroid hormones can’t be produced normally.
HORMONE BALANCE AND CANCER
- Iodine promotes hormone balance and production of all the body’s hormones – NOT JUST THYROID HORMONES. Balance is key for disease prevention, as well as an overall sense of well-being.
- Iodine helps regulate hormone production and balance estrogen production in the ovaries in females and adrenal tissues in men that can stimulate the development and progression of hormone-related cancers such as breast, ovarian, uterine, cervical and prostate cancers.
- Estrogen Dominance in BOTH Men and Women is Dramatically Increased in Iodine-Deficient, Hypothyroid States. Estrogen dominance also appears to be a significant risk factor in the development of hormone-related cancers.
- Incidence of Hormone-Related Cancers – Breast, ovarian, uterine prostate, cervical cancers, as well as stomach, lung, esophagus, thyroid and throat cancers are Markedly increased in Iodine-Deficient patients.
- Incidence of Goiter (enlargement of the thyroid gland because of iodine deficiencies) and breast and prostate cancer have a direct relationship. Two studies done in Iceland and Japan – populations with high Iodine intake – have a much lower incidence of breast and prostate cancer and goiter compared to other populations.
- Iodine helps prevent Fibrocystic breast diseases and is used successfully to treat fibrocystic diseases such as uterine fibroids and ovarian cysts.
- Iodine supplementation can reduce the amount of circulating cholesterol naturally by helping to address one of the underlying causes of high-cholesterol – hormone imbalances and deficiencies (cholesterol is the precursor to sex steroidal hormones and adrenal hormones)
- Iodine sufficiency can help prevent or alleviate symptoms of Metabolic Syndrome starting with the Hallmark Hypothyroidism. Clinical studies show a direct correlation between iodine deficiency and the cascade of other diseases related to Metabolic Syndrome such as diabetes, heart disease and cancer.
STRONG IMMUNE SYSTEM
- Iodine destroys viruses, bacteria, pathogens, molds, fungi, parasites and malaria on contact.
- Iodine helps prevent Urinary Tract Infections (UTIs).
- Iodine helps prevent and treats H. pylori – a bacterial infection of the stomach which has been connected with ulcers and gastric cancer.
MENTAL FOCUS, CLARITY AND MEMORY
- Pregnant women who had higher Iodine levels showed a decrease in SIDS, and a higher childhood survival rate.
- Iodine helps make us smarter. It promotes sharp-thinking, mental focus, cognitive functioning, and helps eliminate brain fog in adults.
NORMAL FETAL AND CHILDHOOD DEVELOPMENT
- Iodine makes children smarter. Iodine is essential for normal growth and development of children. Pregnant women who are Iodine deficient have children with greater risk of mental development issues. A study showed a 15 point reduction in children’s IQs when pregnant women are Iodine deficient.
- Iodine helps support proper fetal development and growth along with speech and hearing development.
- The percentage of pregnant women with iodine deficiency increased 690% between NHANES I (1974) and NHANES II (2000) Studies. A low maternal iodine level in fetal development has been associated with higher levels of cretinism, mental retardation, autism, ADD, SIDS, ALS and other Myelin disorders.
PREGNANCY AND REPRODUCTIVE HEALTH
- Adequate iodine levels can also be important in the treatment of infertility because it is essential for healthy hormone balance.
- Pregnant women who have adequate iodine are also less likely to experience high blood pressure during pregnancy.
- Iodine can help prevent and treat endometriosis, uterine fibroids and ovarian cysts often related to hormonal imbalance and dysfunction.
FIBROMYALGIA AND MIGRAINE
- Iodine helps reduce fibromyalgia symptoms
- Iodine supplementation helps resolve migraine headaches and other types of chronic headaches for many patients
HEAVY METAL AND HALIDE DETOXIFICATION
- Adequate iodine levels reduce the amount of halide toxicity in the body from Fluoride (water), Chlorine (water) and bromine (bread preservatives and flame retardants in most carpets).
- Halides compete successfully for iodine’s binding sites on cells and hormones rendering them ineffective. For example, thyroid hormones may contain atoms of bromine rather than iodine as they should. This results in production of inactive thyroid hormones because they contain bromine rather than iodine. Some practitioners and patients are perplexed at “normal” thyroid hormone test results, with hypothyroid symptoms. Halide competition with Iodine is often the cause.
- Iodine helps prevent lead from being stored in the body and other metals.
- Iodine helps prevent effects of radiation exposure from the use of cordless phones and cell phones.
- Normal iodine levels can protect the thyroid and the rest of the body from radioactivity generated by nuclear accidents such as the radiation drift from the Fukushima disaster that crossed the Pacific and is detected on the US Mainland.
HEALTHY NAILS, HAIR AND TEETH
- Iodine is essential in formation of healthy skin, teeth and shiny hair.
- Iodine deficiency results in hair loss, which is also due to thyroid deficiencies.
- Iodine supports hair growth and follicle strength.